I bought my first flat iron (which was also a BaByliss) back in 2005 for about $150 during the time when CHI flat irons were all the rage. Having never purchased beauty supplies or tools before, I was conflicted about which brand to go with. After reading the reviews for CHI and BaByliss flat irons, I went ahead and invested in a BaByliss due to the price point (It was $50 less than the CHI). Looking back, I didn’t think my iron would have lasted for 6 years (the plating on the ceramic plates started to show wear and tear at the beginning of 2011) and I couldn’t have been more satisfied with the investment.
I recently got the chance to try out a BaByliss pro 1.5″ tourmaline titanium flat iron and I couldn’t be happier! My old BaByliss was a ceramic iron (heavy with white, ceramic plates) and I was pleasantly surprised when I started to read up on the benefits of tourmaline titanium compared to the old school ceramic that used to be so popular. It’s a much lighter material which promotes healthier looking hair (won’t leave it looking fried) and reduces static and frizz.
The packaging of the flat iron itself is really sleek and well colour-coordinated with the flat iron itself:
One feature that I really liked about this iron is the fact that there’s a removable comb! It’s really easy to slide the comb off the track on the flat iron. For this review, I tested the flat iron with the comb on. I’ve never seen other flat irons like this and I was really curious to try it out for myself.
Another feature that was new to me was the ability to lock and unlock the plates. At first, I thought, “Yeah, this is so smart! This makes storage so much easier if I can lock the plates together.” After reading the manual, I learned that I could also lock the plates to speed up the warming of the iron. I thought this was a really nifty idea, and what do you know– my iron was heated up and ready to be used in the matter of less than a minute!
If you’re new to the blog, you may not know that my hair is naturally wavy. I usually blow dry my hair before flat ironing it, which helps to smooth out a lot of the waves but leaves me with voluminous hair with tips that curl in all different directions. As someone with thick hair, I do not enjoy having extra volume. It makes my hair feel too poofy which is why I try to straighten it 80% of the time. (The other 20% I either leave my hair wavy or put it up in a ponytail/bun.)
In the photo above, you can see what my hair looked like halfway through the process of straightening. I found that I didn’t have to go over handfuls of hair with the flat iron more than once to achieve the pin-straight hair I was going for.
The end result was exactly what I had expected from BaByliss! My hair looked super straight, shiny, and healthy! I didn’t even have to add any extra anti-frizz or extra shine products to achieve this look. Straightening my hair only takes just under 10 minutes, which is as much time as I can afford in the mornings on my hair.
I would highly recommend this flat iron to anyone looking to purchase one. It’s currently on sale for $59.99 (originally $200) from Image Beauty, an online retailer of beauty supplies and discount cosmetics! Based on my previous experience with BaByliss flat irons, I can say that this would be an incredible deal for a tool that is built to last.
Disclosure: I received this flat iron c/o Image Beauty. The review of the flat iron in this post is true to my own personal opinion.